The complications of shopping in Dakar

Took two different buses downtown today to look for a circular saw. We have started to make furniture with pallets and found that our hand sawing skills were not so good as our cuts had more of an angle than would be desired. (The we is Little B, our friend Sam and I). Thus the need for a power saw.

The reason for taking two buses is that I decided to go to one hardware store that is out of the way first in order to know how much saws cost, they have clearly labeled prices (for the most part). While on the second bus I had a great time talking to the driver about how poor Dakar traffic is and how people really don't know how to drive here, nor do pedestrians know how to cross streets, but that is another conversation for a different blog post. It all started when a dump truck was blocking the road, our bus needed to go around and the on coming traffic did not want to give us the right of way and then were complaining that they had to back up, when the bus driver had clearly told them to wait and they had not headed his warning. In order to get to the store I wanted to go to I had to get off the bus and walk a bit, it just so happened that I got off a bit earlier than I had to, but ended up beating the bus on foot as the traffic was really bad in that section of road.

I got an idea for prices at the first hardware store then, headed off on foot to find the next store. The next hardware store is found downtown in an area so congested that to take our truck there would be a major headache, thus my reason for going on foot (I didn't feel like waiting for a bus either). Walking the streets of Dakar is a trip as the streets are full of other pedestrians, cars, motorbikes, horse carts, construction vehicles, policemen, beggars, shops, you name it. Pollution is rampant as well, if I don't get lung cancer in the next few years it will only be a miracle of God.

Walking into the next store I found they only had one saw. It was larger and more expensive than a smaller saw I had seen at the last store, so I walked around a bit and left. Since it was close to lunch time and the stores around here hold the lunch hour to be sacred I went off to buy some garbanzo flour for LaRae and a lifetimes supply of garlic powder while waiting for the first store to reopen after the lunch break. This was followed by a stop to see a friend in the local Christian book store. I like to stop by and say hello when I'm in town just to encourage him and every once in awhile I'll buy a few Bibles or two.

After seeing my friend I headed to my favorite little mannakish (a yummy Lebanese sandwich/pizza) restaurant in Dakar. This is a small hole in the wall place, but their service is great and the way they do their crust is amazing! Had a nice lunch, even read a bit in the book I'm reading now about doing mission in New York city.

Lunch finished I slowly made my way back to the first store as I had decided that I was going to by a smaller, less expensive Skilsaw. Once back at the store I found that the Skilsaw though cheap did not have replacement saw blades available. Knowing my skills with wood working and realizing that I might break something and need a replacement at some point I found this to be a downer. Then I went over to look at the Bosch saws only to find that the one I had seen in the other store was actually less expensive than in the store I was in. The saw in question is a bigger saw and had all kinds of replacement blades for different kinds of work. After thinking things over I picked up my courage and headed off on foot the two miles to the other store.

Told the clerks as the second store what had transpired, paid for my new saw and some sandpaper, then headed off to find a bus home. Over here in Africa everything works on friendship. I go to the same shop over and over, once I find out that they have good prices and treat me well. But you have to do your homework in order to know that you are going to the right place. (This can take some time and effort and may wear down your shoes).

You can't just go to any bus stop, you have to go to one that is closer to the terminus as you have a higher chance of getting a seat. ;) Thankfully I got to sit in the front near where the baggage is kept. It isn't a normal seat, but it was out of the way and my tired legs were ready for a rest. In totally it wasn't too many miles only about 13 or so, but carrying the flour, and saw tired me out I guess.

Nice to be home.... Tomorrow won't be like today, got an email that I'll be subbing... Just some crazy kids to keep in line. :)

~~Boaz

Comments